Summer may be well and truly over, but what better subject for a Christmas week post than one about… open air swimming! Here at the Archives we’ve been dipping into the history of the open air swimming baths that once occupied the site of the Phoenix Fitness Centre.
The desirability of providing an open-air swimming bath in the Borough was first considered by the Baths and Wash-houses Committee in April, 1919. In October 1921 the matter was brought forward again, and work finally started in February 1923.
The proposed swimming ‘pond’ was designed to be 150ft x 75ft and 7ft deep at the centre, to accommodate a 15ft diving platform with 4 stages.
The Open Air Swimming Bath on Bloemfontein Road, W12, was formally opened on Saturday 4 August 1924.
The swimming baths were closed in 1979 and the new leisure centre opened in 1980.
To have a look into other open air swimming baths in the area, please email the Archivist: email@example.com