Search this blog
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Tags1953 anniversary architecture archives artists arts Askew Road Askew Road Library author books Books on Prescription Chatterbooks Children children's crafts Children's events Cityread London community crafts Edible Askew Road Encyclopaedia Britannica exhibition First World War Fulham Fulham Library Hammersmith Hammersmith & Fulham Hammersmith library health history Illustrated London News LBHFLibraries literature local history local studies mental health Online Resources Putney reading Reading Agency Reading Well Record Breakers Reference material refurbishment research Roald Dahl Shepherds Bush Library Summer Reading Challenge Times Digital Archive World Book Night WWI
Have you seen…?
Category Archives: Special collections
We are very lucky to have a dedicated team of Archives and Local Studies volunteers; this piece was written by one of them – In 1937, as the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth celebrated the Coronation of King George VI, … Continue reading
As so often happens at the Archives, you can be looking for something else and come across an extraordinary find. The Flower Book by Edward Burne-Jones (1833–1898) is a series of 38 round watercolours, each about six inches across, painted … Continue reading
The site on which Fulham Palace stands has been owned by the church for over 1300 years. In the year 704 Bishop Waldhere purchased the Manor of Fulham from the Bishop of Hereford. Originally built as a Manor House parts … Continue reading
The first urban underground in the world, the Metropolitan Railway, opened in 1863 and operated from Paddington (then called Bishops Road) to Farringdon Street. The first section of the Metropolitan District (MDR) line opened in 1868 and ran from South … Continue reading
The Local Studies and Archives recently moved from Lilla Huset on Talgarth Road to the newly refurbished Hammersmith Library on Shepherd’s Bush Road. We are based on the first floor, in a light and airy room, with beautiful stained glass … Continue reading
Lauren Romano uncovers the turbulent history of The Doll’s Hospital, a half-way house for convalescing dolls, which bestowed joy to the many children whose play things it nursed and became the unlikely spoil of a notorious serial killer. A sanatorium … Continue reading
Debby Wale, one of our Triborough Reference Librarians has been looking through our reference store at Fulham Library and she’s found some interesting adverts. This advertisement is from Modern Publicity 1937-38. Modern Publicity was an annual publication that ran from 1930 … Continue reading